Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Katy Trail (Dallas, TX)

2014.07.08 - I parked at Reverchon Park near Maple Avenue and Turtle Creek Boulevard. Reverchon has been through some conversions during my residence in Dallas. In the 80s and 90s, the city maintenance fund dried up causing the park to be a haven for crime. However, at the end of the millenium and into the new one, a clean up happened and a playground was built. It has come a long way since Southern Methodist University's baseball team used it in the 70s.

I get to the Katy trail at the Thomsen Overlook where there is enough room to spread out, stretch, and get ready for a run, bike ride, or walk. The Katy Trail started when Union Pacific Railroad donated the abandoned railroad lines to the city. What formed the Katy used to be the major east-bound route through Dallas of the form Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, the MKT or 'Katy.'

Right off, I recognize there are two trails in one. A paved trail for bikers and a gravel path for runners and hikers. This is good because of the immense traffic that passes through here daily. Fortunately, I was not dropped off at one end only to get picked up at the other and miss out on double the distance of the hike. But I must pick a direction, so I head toward American Airlines Center where the Dallas Mavericks and Stars play.  

Along the way, I cross over McKinnon Street and Harry Hines Boulevard both with good views of the World Trade Center and Dallas Infomart, at the time of it's opening the world's first and only information processing marketing center. If there are reminders, you are in Big D while on this trail, that and the ever-flowing traffic below won't let you forget it. Proving that trail getaways like the KATY are important to the urban populous.
There are signs along the trail to help identify one's location. The green and white circles have 911 on the top half and your KT location (for example, 101) underneath. Every quarter mile there are also path long markers giving distance in either direction. This is a good of knowing how far you have gon and have left to go. Also, if necessary, utilize the pet waste removal stations and 'Pick Up After Your Pets.'

The pedestrian portion has some benefits besides dodging speedy bikers. For one, there are elevation increases and decreases while the paved trail remains flat. This change of route changes the experience a little for those of us not racing from one point to the other and back again. Speaking of speeding, there is one speed monitor posted. Just like the ones in school zones, except without the elevated fine. 

Past Synder Union, the pedestrian gravel trail merge with the paved trail for the next couple of bridge crossings going north. Before moving on, maybe stand between the two letters in Blue, a "B" and "G." Stand proud and "BIG"

This is the city and I knew I would see some unusual things. I noticed a whig earlier, but maybe more unusual were the two policemen on horseback. This is Big D after all. I did ask for a photograph or autograph, but maybe that might not have been unusual.

Like at Bachman Lake, the Katy has those artistic signs warning us to look before you turn and travel at a safe speed. I went looking for a cache and thought it was on one of those, but it wasn't. It was nearby. It took me a while to find it, but I eventually did. As was the case with the multiple geocaches, I searched for today. Caching does make a hike go faster or slower, depending on perspective and time lost looking beyond the obvious.  
As the trails goes through UpTown, there is backyard access with many apartment complexes advertising access to it. Being a feature attraction is good for this trail and our nation's battle against obesity. I've even heard Troy Aikman likes to run on here, but I ain't no paparazzi and so didn't notice any stars while hiking today.

North of the Knox Henderson, the trail isn't as busy. Probably because of it being more residential and the trail south connects commercial areas. I don't mind it as I like an empty trail sometimes because it gives me time to think, relax, and reflect.

A little after noon, I make it to the Northern Terminus and saw the "0" marker on the ground. Now for the walk back. I've completed the length of the trail and now for a second look through a different lens. I don't feel so rushed getting back despite the heat. I like walks like these.

I walked 7.69 miles in 3 Hours and 20 minutes averaging 26 minutes : 02 seconds per mile with an elevation climb of 540 feet.

Total Blogged Miles: 115.95 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment