Sunday, August 18, 2013

L.B. Houston Nature Trail (Dallas, TX)

2013.08.18 - L. B. Houston Nature Trail

Like a true weekend warrior, I decided to tackle L.B. Houston on a hot, hot, hot Texas August day. Strapping on my new Osprey Viper hydration biker backpack with 1.5 liters of cool water, I headed to the trail head where I turned on the RunKeeper app and started the GPS on my Garmin Fenix Watch. It is my new toy, but I am not sure it ever acquired satellites making it pointless on this hike.

L.B. Houston is another trail maintained by Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association (DORBA) with it's own Facebook page. Unbeknownst to me, an event was being held at the Wildwood Road Parking area and could be the reason that nearly 20 mountain bikers passed me on the trail. None of them ran over me. They just whizzed by and for most of the day, it seemed I was alone on the trail.

'Do not ride muddy trails.' This was not going to be a problem today, but the dirt trail had not harden from the heat instead it had a soft bounce. Combined with the leafy canopy throughout the walk, the sun was blocked but not so much the humidity. From the beginning, I followed the big red arrow, but I later discovered there are plenty of smaller loops for diversion. However, I felt the trail was set before me with all the caution tape that blocked many of the trail exits and intersections with other trails. It felt a bit like a crime scene.

If there was one downside to this wonderful trail, it would be the amount of trash along the path. Numerous water bottles lay stranded from their bike brackets. If only they could be recycled. It was disturbing to see a trash can flipped with its contents spilled everywhere. I wonder why anyone would do this? Guess they felt the need to deface beauty.

Speaking of beauty, L.B. Houston is an off-road biker's gem. It zig-zags and winds back again. After the first few miles, I found myself going in one direction then another until I lost my bearings. If it weren't for the landmarks and big read arrows, I would have gotten lost. One such landmark was going underneath railroad tracks. It really felt like I was out in the country when in actuality, I was surrounded by city.

The section I followed the Elm Fork of the Trinity River where I encounter an older man teaching a little girl how to fish. She had the worm on the hook and was ready. It was a classic photo opportunity, but the moment past as quickly as I did.

From years before, the trail cut north but now the trail went under Wildwood road and into the park east. This section is more of a straight loop and doesn't zig zag as much, however the improvements on this side make for a fun ride much less a thrilling walk. A concrete bridge went over a dry creek bed and got me closer to the river with another concrete bridge to get me back to the other side.

When the sign read, swamp loop, I thought about alligators, but I think the Texas Heat dried up the swamp. Instead there were a series of three wooden bridges. They looked bumpy to ride. Then again that may have been the point. These only added to my growing impression that L.B. is a biker's dream amusement park ride. Plus, there were logs laying around waiting for another bridge to be built or maybe something far more exciting. I will have to come back and see what other rides have been installed in a couple of years.

I hit the 5 mile marker before crossing over back to the westside. By then, I was pretty tired and I drank more and more water. The event was over and I hadn't seen a biker in a while. This meant, I couldn't bum a ride and had to use my feet to get me home.

Soon after, I came to my favorite section of the trail, the Jeep Loop. It intrigued me, because I was sure a Jeep couldn't be driven on this trail. Perfect for a hiker and challenging for a mountain biker, but a Jeep? No way. Then I turn the corner and there it is. Pretty beat up but bandaged with bumper stickers. Who knew?

That railroad I crossed under, I was looking forward to it, but I remember it was not a straight shot to it. Instead, I walked along it for a while, then cut back. Truth is, the crossing earlier in the hike was only a few hundred feet south from this one. I was so tempted back then to just take the bypass, but the caution tape prevented me. Besides, I am glad I experienced the WHOLE L.B. Houston trail. Really I am.

Before I knew it I was at an exit that would have given me a straight shot to the car. But I saw a sign. It read Lake Loop Trail. I couldn't resist. It twisted me back into the bush and I followed tired and gladly. The unnamed lake is the centerpiece to this section of the trail and provides serenity. I reflect on the walk I was about to complete and am amazed at doing such a long hike in close to triple digit heat. I drink more water.

When I get to the exit point, I eye the car and realize it is so close yet so far away. I take my time and savor the moment. I've been on longer, harder hikes, but this one took a lot out of me. It definitely was the heat. More the combination of temperature and exertion, not the lack of water. At the trailhead, I saw the infamous red arrow that continued the circle. Not today, but maybe another time.


I walked 7.81 miles over 3 hours : 8 minutes . 51 seconds averaging 24 minutes : 12 seconds per mile.

Total Blogged miles : 225.16 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment