Monday, June 10, 2013

Campion Trail Far North (Irving, TX)

2013.06.08 - After my bike ride this morning on the Campion, it just felt like a great time to finish it off on foot. I headed toward the dedication maker at Sam Houston Trail Park, where I had stopped the last time. This new section was dedication on March 2009 and funded by the Dallas County Trail & Preserve Fund, making it new and popular.

Admittedly, there is something about walking and hearing the whizzing of cars as the LBJ intersects with the Bush. In a way it is calming, but I guess I have become accustomed to the Big City Life. The correlation is how road bikers whizz by the walkers as they stroll along.

At the bridge going north, caution is required because there are two traffic poles positioned in a way to make things interesting when bikers and walkers pass through at the same time. Not sure why they are there, but there must be a good reason. Just be careful as it makes for a tight squeeze with limited space to pass through.

Speaking of bridges, along the way there are a few of stone foot bridges. Some may wonder about their placement but they do add a little texture while listening to the birds chirping and wind blowing. If need be, a few benches are available to sit and listen in surround sound. 

At the Northern Terminus, there is another trail marker and a place to rest and refuel. From here, a few options can be pondered. Continue north and out of the park where the path continues though some residential areas. Turn around and head back on the Campion or veer left onto the Autre Trail.

The Autre Trail is a .6 alternate loop back trail. It keeps cyclists from having to a completely stop and keep up their momentum. Much quieter and less used, it is also perfect for picking up some speed. 

When i got back to the main open area where I park at Sam Houston Trail Park, I took a right following the paved trail to the parking lot. This also makes a loop, but from here I noticed where another possible trail extension is or was planned through a creek. Plus, a smaller paved trail heads west, also connecting to local residential areas.

I walked back to where I started, the Sam Houston Trail Monument, to pay my respect to this well placed trail. At that moment, I had completely walked the entire Campion Trail and thus closing this trail chapter. I do vow to return whenever the connection between the southern and northern sections is made.

Today, I hiked 2.91 miles in 1 hour : 06 minutes averaging 22 minutes : 57 seconds. My fastest mile was the second at 22 minutes : 15 seconds.

Total blogged miles : 58.01 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment