Friday, October 4, 2013

Government Canyon State Park (San Antonio, TX)

Directions:

From Downtown San Antonio go west on Interstate 10 to Loop 1604 and then head south. It is a highway until a little past the University, then comes the stop lights. Turn west on Shaenfield Road which turns into Galm Road and where it turns left to go south, the entrance to park is on the right. If a ranger is not at the entrance there is a self-play station. Follow the main road and it will take you to the park headquarters.

Hike:

It's 08:23 and 82°F on Saturday, September 28th as I started hiking north on Joe Johnston Route. One of the two main trails in Government Canyon. Good trail maps can be found at the entrance or by printing off the park website.

In addition to hiking, I wanted to do some geocaching and there were a few in the park. By 08:44, I get close to the first cache on the trail and low and behold, it is next to a sign that reads: Caution Rattlesnake area. Nice! I turn down my wireless earphones and get attune to hear rattles. I am not so worried because I have a heavy step and make a lot of noise. If a rattlesnake cannot detect my presence then that is one not so keen snake. I find the cache, sign the log, and get back to the main trail. Made it without getting bitten.

At 09:11, I get to an open area field, Hoffman Hayfield, used for medevac helicopters. There is a cache there and also people there cutting the grass and keeping it clear. I have come across more people from walkers to runners to bikers. The park is coming to life.

Where Joe Johnston Route intersects with the Carolina Loop, I divert. There is an overlook trail that perks my interest, by just the name of it. Before I go to the Overlook, I decide to take the loop for a short diversion to a cache. Carolina Loop is about 2.2 miles and I wish I had more time today to take it, but maybe next time. The good thing about these two trails is that they are narrow and designed solely for foot traffic.

A little after 10:00 am, I make it to the overlook where a couple is enjoying the view. I, of course, emerge from the bush after finding another cache. It is a steep drop, so don't get too close to the edge. At about 50 feet, the drop won't kill you, but it will hurt. After a couple of photos, I move on as I know there is more trail to see.

When I reconnect with the Joe Johnston trail from the Outlook trail, I find the Zizelmann House. Built in the 1880s, it is now blocked off behind a fence and in need of attention. Maybe someday, it will be restored and we can get up close to a bit of South Texas Back Country history.

I turn onto the Windmill trail where I a crew of workers take over the trail. The while I was hiking this section of the park, I looked for the little windmill but did not see it. Guess it was too saw or more likely, I am too blind.

The Windmill trail ends at Sendero Balcones at the entrance of the Protected Habitant area. I did not enter as time was counting down against me. There is an afternoon football game I had tickets for and did not want to miss. Instead, I took Sendero to south at a break neck pace along the rocky trail. At one point, I pass three ladies and rush through several cross paths back to the Joe Johnston Route. I get to the recharge zone trail and cross over to finish the loop. To finish it off, I stop in the state park store and buy some souvenirs. 

Government Canyon gave me what I needed that Saturday morning. Time on the trail alone, but not so much with people crossing my path from time to time. Great weather, a good defined trail, and last, but not least, some exercise in my home region, South Texas. I went back in time for a few todays that day. It is definitely a good place to take a hike minutes from the city.

Find this walk on everytrail.com.

Numbers:

Duration: 4:21:16
Distance: 9.85 miles
Pace per mile: 26:31

Total blogged miles: 240.95 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment