Friday, May 3, 2013

Red Rock Canyon - Moenkopi Trail (Las Vegas, NV)

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us - Henry David Thoreau

2013.04.27 - While in Las Vegas, I heard about Red Rock Canyon one night and the next day I found myself out on in the Nevada desert on a beautiful day hiking the Moenkopi Trail. Moenkopi is a little over 2 miles, estimated to take 1.5 hours and starts at the welcome center. It is the 1st of 19 possible trails in Red Rock Canyon and gives amazing views of the national preservation area.

Located 17 miles west of the Las Vegas Strip, it is just far enough away not to hear slot machines, yet close enough for a great excursion from the Vegas crowds and craziness. Can't be a better win-win situation, especially if at night at certain heights, I heard the lights from above and nearby are awesome. I won't be able to experience that today, but maybe on my next Vegas trip.

At the start of the trail, there is a neat circle of rocks honoring our military. The main rock with an American Flag at the top reads: Defending Freedom "It is wrong to mourn the death of men like these. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -- General George S. Patton. So true, without those men, I wouldn't be able to walk this trail. Really set the mood for the path we were about to follow.

A defined dirt trail leading west toward the mountains, a park ranger told us if we missed our turn we would be walking into the desert. I felt immersed into the desert after only a few steps. Good thing for an accurate map and well placed trail markers. Otherwise, it would have been easy to get lost amongst the shrubs and the majesty around me.

I learned, from the trail signs, that this area used to be an ocean. That isn't so surprising, noticing the water marks on the mountains and the flatness in between ranges. If I were a better fossil hunter, I am sure there are some treasures out here. What was interesting is a fire that consumed Red Rock recently. Caused by lightning striking an unusual high amount of non-native red brome and cheat grasses, the most recent fire happened in 2006 and burned 1,500 acres mainly around the visitor's center. This is most evident on the Moenkopi loop back with its charred landscape. In a couple of places we saw buds growing again and hope it comes back strong. However, with the small amount of vegetation at this time, I can hardly imagine a fire stirring anytime soon, but it could happen.


The main attraction at Red Rock is off course the red rocks. There are great perspectives of them from the Moenkopi at the start, in the middle, and at the end. We discussed the Calico Hills, and how beautiful the white looks on top of the red with the rings from the mountains in the backdrop. For a closer look and other trails, a scenic drive circles the preservation area with plenty more photo opportunities.

I walked 2.1 miles and it took 1:12 minutes. I stopped often to admire the beauty I found myself in, happy with my trek.There is a small hill, but it was not difficult nor was it treacherous. Loose rocks can cover the trail at a few spots, otherwise it is clear. I hope to get back here and take on the Grand Circle trail of 11.4 miles for a more definitive perspective of Red Rock Canyon.

After the trail, make sure to stop into the welcome center for more information and maybe some souvenirs. It is also a good place to recharge with water. Just don't get frightened by the cougar guarding the place.

Trail Miles Blogged: 6.2 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment